Shave Your Head like a Boss!
Men shave their heads for different reasons: going bald, wanting to look more dominant, or simply cannot be bothered with different hairstyles and want to look tidy. Whatever the reason, you cannot dive head first into this because you might end up with some nasty cuts which is something we definitely want you to avoid. We’re after a smooth finish that gives you that extra boost of confidence and keeps you looking sharp.
Here’s how you can achieve it:
- Consult your girlfriend/wife and make sure she doesn’t kick you out of the house for shaving your head.
- Got approval? Great, make sure this is definitely the right style for you as it completely changes the way you look and needs to be maintained.
- If it’s the first time you are doing it (we all gotta start somewhere right?) make sure you cut your hair very short with a trimmer first and only then go in with the razor.
We recommend shaving your head in the shower. Don’t be scared that you won’t see anything because there are large portions of your head that you can’t see in the mirror anyway and trust me, mirrors can be VERY confusing. Also, hot water helps to prepare your hair for the shave by making it soft which always gets a better result.
- Get multi-blade razor ready.
- Take a couple of deep breaths (we need to make sure your hands are not shaking) and let’s do this! We recommend using a blade that’s not too old so that you need less passes and lower the chances of irritating your skin. If you’re a newbie and using a fresh blade, take your time. Once you get the hang of it you can speed up.
- You can use the same kind of shaving cream that you use to shave your face. However, to avoid irritation, it should be one made for sensitive skin, we highly recommend Taylor of Old Bond Street Sensitive Cream. Being the real gent that you are, I’m sure you’ll appreciate the feel of using shaving lather rather than a gel.
- Pay close attention to the grain of your hair and try shaving against it to avoid your head feeling like sandpaper. You won’t be able to stop rubbing your head once it’s totally shaved. Trust me, your Missus will appreciate it too.
Smooth, clean and proud of yourself? Well done, however, it doesn’t stop just here. I told you, it’s real commitment and like any hairstyle needs maintaining.
- Moisturise your scalp right after shaving and also between shaves. It will help soothe any irritation that you might have.
- If you break out right after shaving your head, relieve the redness and discomfort with a benzoyl peroxide cleanser. Breaking out is quite usual thing, especially if you have/had thick, curly hair.
- Protect your bare scalp from the sun. I know we’re in the UK but hey, it’s still summer and sun can be quite aggressive sometimes. Smooth on a sunblock with at least a 30 SPF every day, or wear a trendy hat in the sun.
There you go! Prep, shave, nourish and repeat as often as you feel necessary!
— The Greek Outdoors (@greekoutdoors) 5 July 2016
Make sure you always have fresh blades; a dull razor is more likely to irritate your skin and cause tugging which can lead to cuts.